I received a call from a tenant in my building that one of the other apartment's front door within the building was standing open.
I contacted that tenant and advised her door was standing open. She returned to the apartment to find the door was forced open. Law Enforcement was contacted, & the investigation is on-going.
Post evidence collection, what remains?
I realized I had to act swiftly. I had an occupied apartment that had an insecure front door. I studied the door itself to see if it was something I would be able to salvage. The door is original to the building. The building was constructed in the 1940s and accordingly this door was solid and of sturdy construction. My assessment revealed that the door was salvageable. Although, I wanted to remove the door and have it completely repaired, the apartment was occupied & I was tasked with returning the apartment to a secured space.
I conducted some internet research and realized I would be able to repair the door through the use of a re-enforcing door sleeve. I planned the repair and gathered the tools. Originally, I was hopeful that the spacing between the original deadbolt and door handle would match the existing spacing of a modern door. That was not the case with this door. So I was tasked with creating a new space for the deadbolt.
I knew I wanted to keep the original location of the door handle, so I used the re-enforcer/door sleeve as a template for the newly located deadbolt hole. I traced the new location with pencil on the damaged door. I removed the sleeve and aligned the deadbolt installation tool guide over the traced hole. This step insured the spacing for the new hole.
I created the hole and installed the door sleeve/re-enforcer. This sleeve kit came with all the necessary screws and bolts to affix the hardware to the door. I was concerned that the original door handle would not work with the sleeve and/or that I would not be able to remove the handle and subsequently be required to replace the handle as well.
Fortunately, the handle was a fit and all came together with the repaired door!
Next I re-enforced the door frame with the metal strike plate. This step required the use of a wood chisel to create the new space for the strike plate. I aligned the new plate with required clearance and position on the door frame. The installation of the strike plate came with extra long screws - 3 1/2 inches. The drill bits I had with me did not reach the 3 1/2 inches so I had to drive the screws the extra 1/2" to an 1" with the screws. I would recommend having the appropriate length drill bits.
Post repair, the door was returned to service & the space is now secured! I have to admit, I was originally concerned with this repair, fearing that the integrity of the door would not hold up. But post repair, I am extremely satisfied with the repair.
This type of thing is something that no one has scheduled. Quick response to this circumstance is a necessity to help heal the feelings of intrusion felt by the tenant subside. This was the first time I had to make this repair. I feel confident that in the future I will be able to make this repair again.